Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

When we found out we were expecting, about a month ago now, our initial goal was to wait until the first doctor's appointment to make the announcement to our friends and families. We just wanted to make it through that fragile period of time and see what kind of report we got from the doctor before making such a life-altering announcement.

We didn't make it...for a few reasons:
1) We were both just too excited to hold it in any longer.
2) I've been sick, and was having a very hard time keeping it from my mom and grandmother who I talk to often.
3) Mother's Day was fast approaching, and I couldn't resist the temptation to give our moms such a fun, great gift!

After pleading with my sweet husband to "pleeeeease let me tell on Mother's Day", he finally gave in. We had made plans a few weeks in advance to each spend time with our moms separately, which was the only disappointment.

Mother's Day morning, I called my Dad very early to give him the news, knowing that once the grandmothers-to-be found out, the news would travel at the speed of light. He was thrilled, and we both shed a few tears before we had to hang up.

A few (long) hours later, my mom came to the door to pick me up so that we could head out to my church to meet my brother and all have lunch together. She barely made it through the door before I handed her a white envelope. "Hurry! Open it!" The words just overflowed out of me. I can't believe I kept it in for two whole weeks! I couldn't wait to see my mom's reaction! She retrieved a tiny picture frame from the envelope. 'Grandchild', it said across the top. Instead of a picture, I'd placed a piece of paper in the frame that said 'Photo coming January 2010'. She quickly scanned it, and her eyes grew to the size of two small saucers, then quickly welled with tears of joy. She danced around for the next few minutes, crying intermittently, saying, "I'm going to be a grandmother! I'm going to be a grandmother!" It was priceless.

Adam had plans to take his mom to lunch at one of his favorites, Texas de Brazil. He arrived at her house to pick her up at the same time his brother & niece pulled up. This gave him an idea... He pulled Libby, our niece, aside, and told her the news, then let her tell his mom when they got inside. I'm sure she didn't expect Libby to come and say "Aunt Tori is pregnant!" instead of "Happy Mother's Day"!

After our lunches with our moms wrapped up, we both met over at my Memaw's house to tell her the big news. We had a little fun with this, and I'm afraid poor Memaw was pretty confused for a few seconds before she realized we were telling the truth! We went in and said our hello's before asking if Adam and I could take a Mother's Day picture with Memaw. She complained that she wasn't dressed for a picture, and didn't want to take one. After we finally convinced her, my mom held up the camera and said, "1, 2, 3, Say Tori's pregnant!" No reaction. Then, a little giggle from Memaw. I looked at her, and said, "Well, did you say it?" "Say what? Tori's pregnant?" She looked intently at me and I could see the excitement begin to well up from her toes. "Is she?" Memaw asked, this time with great enthusiasm. "Yes!" I am pretty sure we all yelled this at the same time.

Me, Memaw, & My Mom on Mother's Day 2009

Sweet Memaw threw her arms up in the air and began to do a combination of weeping, praying, and yelling all at the same time. She ran into the other room and probably terrified my sleeping Aunt Carolyn by waking her up yelling, "I'm going to be a great-grandmother!" over and over again. She was (and still is) pretty excited.

It was a big day, and I don't know if I was more exhausted from the anticipation of it all, or relieved that the word was out.

Then, we still had two weeks to wait until our doctor's appointment. I'll write about that soon!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

This post made me cry!! I can barely write this because I can't see very well through my tears. :) How absolutely precious and special! I'm so excited for you. What a perfect Mother's Day! I'll be praying for your wonderful little blessing. PRAISE GOD FOR SUCH A GIFT!

Amy G said...

I love the stories of how you break the news. How did you break it to break it to Adam? For me, that was the best one! I am so excited for you guys, this is such an exciting time. Before you know it you will have a little trouble maker or princess on your hands, so much fun!

Tori said...

Jessica - So sweet, thank you for your precious words and even more precious prayers.

Amy - I was in such shock when I took my first positive home test, I just called him at work and blurted it out over the phone. I said, "I think I just took a positive test!" He said, "What kind of test?" I wanted to reach through the phone and shake him! "A PREGNANCY TEST!" He was so calm and collected about it, which is just what I would expect from my logical, practical, engineer husband!

The suspense of "trouble maker vs. princess" is killing me already!

Krista Sanders said...

Wonderful-- love it. Wondering if you videoed any of it?????? What sweet memories and creative ways of telling. I am SO excited for you!!

Amy G said...

That is a great story. I waited to tell him for like 5 hours and through a whole dinner and it killed me, haha! With the help of P.F. Changs and their fortune cookies, he finally found out. It was really funny, b/c he said, "haha, that is so funny, my fortune is about being a dad." And I was like, well you are going to be one. Or something like that, but he didn't really realize it. Men are so funny!

Tori said...

Krista - we did video a little, but we are still deciding if we're going to put that online. (Also, I don't know how to do that on Blogger! I need a tutorial!)