Thursday, January 26, 2012

My First Freezer Meal

Ok, ok, ok, so it wasn't exactly my idea. I found it, of course, on Pinterest. {The pin linked to this blog post over at Mom on Timeout.} We l-o-v-e breakfast burritos at our house. Whataburger taquitos, anyone? Those are a favorite here. 

However, most mornings, we don't have nearly enough time to make them. They're usually a Saturday morning treat, or a 'Breakfast for Dinner' meal. I couldn't believe it when I found this crazy pin on Pinterest, saying you could make - and FREEZE - these delectable breakfasts!

So, I tried it out. My trial run was to make a large batch, eat them as 'Breakfast for Dinner' {another favorite around here}, and freeze what was left. After that batch was eaten by my hubby in only a few days, I knew I'd have to make more - and fast.




So, here's my recipe:

{Ingredients}
 - 1 Package of Low Sodium Bacon
 - 1 lb of Jimmy Dean *hot* Sausage (We also use turkey sausage a lot. Can't really tell a difference!)
 - 1 Carton of Eggs
 - 2 Small to Medium Potatoes
 - Tortillas (I used full four tortillas this time, but I'd like to try freezing the whole wheat ones next time.)

I microwaved the bacon, cooked the ground sausage meat, and scrambled the eggs.

After the sausage was almost finished cooking, I added the 2 potatoes, diced into small squares,
so that they could cook in with the sausage. I covered the mixture for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally,
so that the potatoes would soften and the sausage wouldn't burn.




Here are all of my yummy ingredients before I assembled the burritos.
You can bet we snacked on that crispy bacon. YUM!



Here's my trusty {and adorable} assistant.


Our first burrito after our little assembly line. {I know
many people are probably thinking "Where's the cheese?"Well, I don't
particularly like cheese on mine, so Adam just adds his after it's re-heated.}


All that's left to do at this point is to place the individual burritos into a parchment-lined casserole
dish and flash freeze them for an hour or two.

After they're good and frozen, we put them in zip-lock bags for quick, easy access. 

This batch made 15 burritos.


Whenever we're ready to heat one up for breakfast, we wrap it in a paper towel (to absorb some of the
juices that will come out when it thaws), and heat it in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. So quick and easy!!

Ok, so it definitely took me almost 2 hours to complete them the second time I made the large batch. I'm not really sure why, because it doesn't seem like it should take that long. Maybe it was all of Allie's bacon requests and "help" that slowed me down a bit. I'm sure I'll be making them again when this batch runs out, though, so I'll find out!

1 comment:

Bon&Bud said...

Can't wait to try this! I had started making our breakfast sandwiches EVERY morning, which was so NOT fun especially if I was running late or Brax woke up and I had to get ready for daycare. SO I made some freezer breakfast sandwiches, which Buddy said were not that good--I don't blame him... they looked "not so appetizing." (I am thankful he is not a picky eater and still eats the not so appetizing sandwiches) SO I think this week I will make the burritos!