Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summer Splash 2010


I.love.my.church.

This past weekend, I attended my second annual Summer Splash at Milestone Church. It was such a sweet time of learning and fellowship! Friday night, our amazing pastors' wives put together a hilarious intro to the weekend. It seems that, at each women's event, we love to humiliate at least one man by asking that he dress up as a woman and act out something embarrassing. It definitely got everyone loosened up and excited about the weekend! (View part of the intro on the Milestone Women Facebook Page.) So funny!

Beautiful decorations in the atrium at church!

Streamers that landed all over me!


Holly Wagner (author of the God Chicks books) was our guest speaker for the weekend. She was so great! High-energy, funny, and full of truths that I definitely needed to hear. She spoke a lot about what it means to "stay at your post". I am still pondering all of the truth that these verses hold. They'll definitely be on some 3 x 5 cards on my mirror in the near future.

2 Corinthians 6: 4-10 (MSG)
Our work as God's servants gets validated - or not - in the details. People are watching us as we stay at our post, alertly, unswervingly...in hard times, tough times, bad times; when we're beaten up, jailed, and mobbed; working hard, working late, working without eating; with pure heart, clear head, steady hand; in gentleness, holiness, and honest love; when we're telling the truth, and when God's showing His power; when we're doing our best setting things right; when we're praised, and when we're blamed; slandered, and honored; true to our word, though distrusted; ignored by the world, but recognized by God; terrifically alive, though rumored to be dead; beaten within an inch of our lives, but refusing to die; immersed in tears, yet always filled with deep joy; living on handouts, yet enriching many; having nothing, having it all.

When others watch me, that's what I want them to see. That's the cry of my heart. I want them to see me living life "with a pure heart, clear head, steady hand; in gentleness, holiness, and honest love;...immersed in tears, yet always filled with deep joy." I can't wait to see, over these next weeks and months, how God cultivates and grows the seeds of truth He planted in me this weekend!

After the amazing worship and hearing from Holly, we had a 'County Fair' after party. They had everything you could imagine! Two ice cream trucks serving yummy frozen yogurt, a corny dog stand (and yes, I say "corny" dog, not "corn" dog), all kinds of popcorn, watermelon slices, and glass-bottled Coke. It's a good thing Holly didn't speak on gluttony! This was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. I enjoyed all kinds of yummy goodies, spent time with friends, made a great new friend, and did a LOT of laughing. I didn't realize how hungry I was for this fellowship! I love that God knows what I need better than I do. On my half-hour drive home Friday night, I felt so refreshed and rejuvenated, I didn't know how I'd ever fall asleep. I am SO glad we are called to walk through this life with people! I love doing life with my precious friends!



Saturday morning, there was more fun to be had. This was just part of it. Oh! I forgot to mention the awesome flip flops they gave away to everyone Friday night! They're so cute, and they say "beautiful feet" on the straps. Love them! Saturday morning, they gave us all these amazing canvas bags with our women's ministry logo on them. They were made by women in a foreign country (I can't remember where) who used to have to earn money by selling themselves, and now, make these bags to earn a living. Pretty cool! Our amazing pastor's wife, Brandy Little, spoke Saturday morning, followed by another message from Holly before we wrapped up the weekend.

I feel so blessed to have been a part of the weekend!

No comments: