Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The First 3 Weeks



Fewf! These last 3 weeks have been so full to say the least! I can't believe Allie will be 3 weeks old tomorrow.
These first weeks have had lots of ups and downs, but we are learning a little more about Allie each day, and attempting to begin to settle into a routine now. Week one was spent battling some difficulties with nursing, but I am grateful to God that He heard our concerns, and resolved them. We are still learning how to live on (sometimes a LOT) less sleep, and learning our roles in caring for Allie when she refuses to sleep. This week, she's sleeping, but she's become a very noisy sleeper! She squeaks, cries out, and wiggles all over the place without waking up. It sure keeps me up, though! I may be the lightest sleeper in the world. Adam learned how to swaddle Allie while we were still in the hospital. They swaddled her at night while we were there, so we have continued that at home. It seems to help her calm down and sleep most of the time. Adam is a pro, but somehow she always wiggles out of the tightly-wrapped blanket when I attempt it!
At Allie's 4-day check-up, she lost down to 6 pounds even. By her next check-up about 10 days later, she'd already gained 10 ounces, and grown a half inch! That was a nice confirmation that we are doing something right! My mom and I took her this morning to her 2nd screening at the hospital, and they had to prick her poor little foot and collect blood. Poor baby! She did great, though!

We are trying to figure out what our daily schedule looks like now, and learning what Allie's routines are. She is sleeping up to 5 hours at a time overnight, which is great! It doesn't happen every night, but we are grateful when it does! I will feel a lot better once we can settle into a good routine, so that I can anticipate what my days will look like a little better. Hopefully we'll have that all established soon.

I am definitely approaching the "stir-crazy" state of mind, finishing out my 3rd week straight of staying in the house. We've taken Allie to her doctor's appointments, so at least I got to get out for those! Last weekend, Adam stayed with little Allie for the first time on his own, and I got a 1-hour trip to Target! I've never been so excited to go to Target! It was so nice to see some different surroundings, even for just an hour. I can't wait for the next couple of weeks to go by, so that I can start taking Allie out places, too! The doctor told us to wait around six weeks to take her out since we are smack in the middle of one of the worst cold and flu seasons we've seen in awhile.

It may be another 3 weeks until I'm able to post again, but you can be sure I'll be staying busy!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh, she is absolutely gorgeous! What a precious little girl :) I'm SO excited for you guys! One of these days I'll have to meet her!