Thursday, November 26, 2009

Colossians 3:15

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." - Colossians 3:15

Today feels like a beginning of sorts. Since discovering I was pregnant in early May, we've looked forward to the distant holiday season as the time baby Allie will arrive. Today is the "official" kick-off of the "distant" holiday season.

I've been going through old blog posts I wrote leading up to my wedding day. Reading them through a few tears, and remembering all of those feelings of anticipation (and maybe a little fear, too), has reminded me of why I started blogging in the first place. It's amazing how much I've learned this morning from my "former self". So thankful for the journeys God has taken me on since those days, and for a clear picture of the ways I've changed and grown!

One of my favorite quotes from my own blog, about 2.5 years ago, as I counted down the days to my wedding: "This is a season of life that everyone keeps telling me to enjoy to the utmost, and that's my goal, even if it means enjoying every little stress. Either way, I want to remember it well." What a perfect way to sum up what I'm feeling as our first precious baby's due date is 5 weeks and 3 days away. It is my heart's desire to enjoy and soak in all of these next days and weeks anticipating her arrival, and to be thankful through all of it.

Thankfulness has become slightly more challenging in these past couple of weeks with strong jabs waking me in the middle of the night, and the feeling that I should just set up camp in the bathroom. I love every movement, and every hiccup I feel from sweet Allie, dont' get me wrong. She's clearly beginning to outgrow her space, though, and that makes for some discomfort on my part (and hers, I'm sure)! I will strive to remain thankful, whether she arrives before or after Christmas; whether she's born this year or next; whether she is early or late...she'll be right on time. I am SO thankful that I can trust in my sovereign, great God, and know that He always knows what is best - not just what is good, or what "might work", but what is BEST. I can trust, on the days that I want her here so badly, that God, in His mercy, saw fit for her to get one more protected day of growth.

Today, I'm thankful for...
  • My sweet husband, still sleeping soundly in the next room.
  • Our precious baby Allie Joy, who will get to enjoy her first Thanksgiving meal a year from today at almost 1 year old.
  • A healthy pregnancy.
  • Two freshly-bathed and brushed doggies sitting at my feet in this dimly-lit living room.
  • My family. All of them. Those who've gone, and those I'll see today.
  • All the blessings that God continually pours out on my life in the form of friendships, a wonderful church family, providing for us to have a beautiful, safe home and all of the things in it.
  • Memaw's house on Thanksgiving day. I hope we can continue to be there on this day for many years to come.
  • New warm, fuzzy slippers.
  • Scripture. Praise music. Prayer. All the things that draw me closer to God.
Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: