Wednesday, July 30, 2008

history in the making

This past Monday, my sweet Memaw held what she called a 'History Class' in her home.

She told many of the stories of her childhood that I've heard all my life.
They still never get old.
She also brought out lots of her prized antiques
and shared them with the class.

My Memaw, Betty, in the center, and her brothers, Bill and Bud. This is one of my all-time favorite pictures.

This is a shot of a Bible from the 1700's that belonged to my granddad's family. It's AMAZING to flip through...very very carefully. (Click the image to read the note and original goose-quill writing. It's unbelievable.)

She has all of these fascinating newspapers from when World War II broke out when she was only 14 years old.


This will be mine someday. When Memaw got married, there wasn't any money to buy fancy fabrics, and many of the fancy fabrics we have now weren't yet being made. This was her wedding blouse. It was made from her brother's nylon parachute from World War II shortly after his return home. What a treasure! Memaw had surgery the following day, and is doing very well, praise God! I hope she sticks around for a long long time so that I can learn even more about the exciting life she's led.

I'm really excited, because my brother filmed her speaking about all these things so that we can have it put on a DVD to keep. I can't wait to see it!

I'd be curious to know about any interesting treasures anyone's parents/grandparents might have...
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Katherine Marie said...

So cool! I'm even more jealous than I was before. :-) LOVE the parachute blouse!!!

My grandma has been a widow for 20 years, and since she doesn't wear her engagement ring anymore, It's going to be mine someday. It's soo pretty and vintage-y.

Shannon said...

I was so disappointed when my girls woke up sick that morning! How wonderful that your brother recorded this - I'm sure it will be a treasure in years to come! (And I was so glad to hear that everything went well with her surgery!) Can't wait to see ya'll next month!!

Hayley McCarthy said...

I love your new background.

Krista Sanders said...

Should I be offended I was not invited??? ; )
Can we get a copy of the DVD??
Precious.